McKinsey and Company have released some excellent articles over the last 12 months around the theme of "The Digital Enterprise". Their latest article, "Six Building Blocks for creating a high-performing digital enterprise", is one of the best yet.
While McKinsey's focus is on large corporate organisations - many of the lessons are directly transferable to small and medium sized enterprises. In this blog post we consider the advice in the article related to the first two building blocks, and what lessons our clients can draw from it. In the coming weeks we will look into building blocks 3 - 6.
What are the six digital building blocks?
The six digital building blocks McKinsey define are:
- Strategy and innovation
- The customer decision journey
- Process automation
- Data and analytics
1. Strategy and innovation
Our Take: Every strategy needs to be digital
2. Customer decision journey
Our Take: Customer Personas and Customer Journeys are crucial to digital success
- Identify your top 2 or 3 customer segments.
- Develop simple personas for each segment
- Develop customer journey's for each (there will be significant overlap) using our customer journey tool.
- Identify the two or three actions from the journey tool that will deliver the most value and implement.